Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Dancing Dreams

Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a "Dancing With the Stars" junkie. In fact, I am posting this blog late on Tuesday night because I had my usual crazy Tuesday and didn't have time to blog earlier, and I just had to watch the final results show after I got back from Connor's basketball practice.

I think the reason I love it so much is because it gives me hope. I would love to be able to glide gracefully across the dance floor, in perfect time to the music, turning in and out of my partner's arms as if it were the easiest thing in the world. The thing is, they take people who actually couldn't dance, and in just a few weeks they turn them into dancers! Okay, so most of them have some entertainment or athletic experience, and I'm sure that gives them a leg up. But clearly many people with entertainment and even musical ability do not have any dancing ability (did anyone see Michael Bolton dance this season?) And as much as I doubt that Bristol Palin deserved to be in the final based on her dancing ability, I do appreciate that someone with no previous experience whatsoever was able to make a very observable improvement and could actually keep up to the other competitors by the end. (No comment as to whether she qualified as a "star" to suit the title of the show.) Jennifer Grey won this season, which seemed perfectly justified to me, considering the iconic character she played in "Dirty Dancing". Nobody put Baby in a corner this time! (Sorry — I couldn't resist!) And I have never seen a 50-year-old who looked better.

Maybe it makes me a geek, but I just love to watch the dancing and dream that I could actually do that someday. It is a little bit of escapism once a week (okay, twice a week), and I can't wait until it starts again in the spring. My DVR will be programmed and ready. Now onto "Skating with the Stars" — Nah, I don't think so. I'll stick with "Battle of the Blades", thanks! I'd much rather watch hockey players try to figure skate than famous comedians and reality stars who have never had a pair of skates on their feet. That is just too painful to watch!

1 comment:

  1. I never got into that show. I think because I don't really have others in the house who want to and when your kids get older and stay up as late as you do, you TV shows and interests change more to their likings than your own!
    Do you have some of your entries on private?

    ReplyDelete