Monday, October 31, 2011

Halloween Traditions

I know many of my friends aren't crazy about this particular holiday, but I love the fun of it. Carving pumpkins with my kids is one of my favourite yearly traditions, and in this quick post today, I wanted to share their creations.

Connor's "Harry Potter" pumpkin
Each year I get the kids to draw the face that they want carved into their pumpkins, and I attempt to recreate what they have drawn (sometimes with more success than others!) This year, Connor decided he was going to carve his own pumpkin, which I thought was fine, and I suggested that for a first try he might want to try something simple. You know, a couple of triangle eyes, an upside down triangle nose, and a big, wide smile. No, my very creative son was not having any of that! He schemed up a Harry Potter jack-o-lantern, and I think it turned out pretty great. It looks awesome lit up on our doorstep.

Janelle knew exactly what she wanted, as she does with everything. She chose cat eyes, a silly nose, a very crazy mouth, and even some freckles! She did let me carve it, and aside from a few strays from her original design, she was pretty happy with the outcome. It also looks awesome lit up. Today at school she'll be carving her own pumpkin. Hopefully she'll stick to a simple pattern, but who knows with my kids!

Janelle's creation
Tonight we'll have an early supper and then begin the festivities. Connor may "trick-or-treat" with a friend this year, which makes me a little sad, but I think as long as they stay in their own neighbourhoods they'll be fine. I'm happy for him that he is old enough to venture out on his own with a buddy. I still have Janelle to tour around the neighbourhood with, visiting with our neighbours as we go. Chris will probably hand out the candy, which he enjoys doing, checking out all the cool, cute, and scary costumes. Then we'll all meet up at home and sort through the candy.

Halloween can be fun, or it can be awful. I remember a Halloween when I still living at Mom and Dad's, when my little brother (about Connor's age or a bit older at the time) came home crying after having his candy stolen by a bunch of older kids. I was furious with the whole holiday and wondered whether I would ever celebrate it with my own children. I'm glad I chose go ahead and enjoy it, and allow them to as well, but I pray that they never have such a painful Halloween experience. It only takes a few people to ruin it all for kids who are just out to have a little innocent fun.

So despite the scary, creepy aspects of Halloween that I hate, I plan to enjoy this one to the fullest. My werewolf and cowgirl have stars in their eyes this morning, thinking of all the fun to be had tonight. They are off to school in their orange and black, ready for a day of special activities and maybe even a few treats. And I am off to the grocery store to make sure I am well stocked for the visitors to my door this evening!

Have a very safe and happy Halloween!

1 comment:

  1. FUn all round. Anna carved a Han SOlo pumpkin (you can tell by the smirk) especially for me. Erik didn't do trick or treating this year but promised he'd go next year if we found him a Henry VIII costume.

    Happy November! THree more days lol

    ReplyDelete