Friday, April 29, 2011

Royal Fever

Thirty years ago this summer I had a serious case of Royal Fever. I caught it the day Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer announced their engagement. From that moment I began gathering all the information I could about the royal family. I read books, I watched TV movies, I memorized trivia, and of course, I got up at 6 a.m. on July 29, 1981, to watch the Wedding of the Century. I drank in every moment. I was enamoured by the beautiful Princess Bride and her Prince, and I dreamed of their happy ending.

Of course, as we all know, they didn't get that happy ending, but who knew that then? Sadly, I'm not sure they even had many happy days. I was disenchanted with the Royals for a while. But Charles and Diana did bring two handsome princes into the world who I believe (hope) have learned from their parents mistakes. William and Catherine seem to really know, love and respect each other, unlike his poor parents, and they have not taken this step lightly. Once again I'm dreaming of that happy ending, and once again I find myself up at a 6:00 a.m. with a case, albeit not as serious this time, of Royal Fever.

And I have taken steps to inflict my daughter with the Fever as well! Last night, when I asked if she was going to get up early and watch with me, her response was "Aren't you going to tape it?" I was shocked! This from my own little self-proclaimed princess? "Well, yes," I replied, "But don't you want to get up and see it while it's really happening?" She thought for a moment and said, "Okay, you wake me up and I'll decide then." So this morning when my alarm went off at 5:45 I dragged myself out of bed and into Janelle's room. "Do you want to get up and watch the wedding, Honey?" She didn't open her eyes and I was sure she was going to opt for her cozy bed, but she surprised me with "Yep, just let me stretch a minute". I did, and she did, and then we headed down to snuggle on the couch. We turned the TV on just before Kate stepped out of her hotel and into the waiting car to take her ride to Westminster Abbey. Janelle was hooked! She loved every minute of it. She was enchanted by Kate's gown. She especially loved the "lacy sleeves". I was enchanted by her face as she watched and dreamed her own "Princess dreams".


The Royal Wedding has reawakened my long dormant Royal Fever, and I think it has done the same for millions of others. I sincerely hope that the new Duke and Duchess of Cambridge get their happy ending. They have the chance that Charles and Diana never really had. The celebration of this wedding has been overwhelming — the most watched wedding in history. Weddings are wonderful and they draw people together, but I think anniversaries are far more worthy of celebration. I look forward to seeing Prince (or perhaps King) William celebrating with his bride ten, twenty, thirty years from now, and celebrating their children's royal weddings from the perspective of a long and successful marriage.

Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge! May you enjoy many long years together!

1 comment:

  1. Love Love loved her dress...I predict Sleeves will be back! Beautiful my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete