Monday, July 4, 2011

Twenty Minute Post

I have twenty minutes that I cannot spend packing. I decided that I don't want to arrive in New Brunswick looking like a grandmother, so I should probably add a quick dye job to my list of "must-dos" today, my last day before leaving on vacation. Therefore, as any other trying-to-stay-dark-haired 40-something woman knows, I have to sit for half an hour as my amazing transformation takes place. I spent the first ten minutes trying to figure out how I was going to productively use this time. Then I thought of my blog. Can I write a post in twenty minutes? Well, let's see...

I could talk about lists. About how at heart I am not a list maker, but how getting ready for vacation always seems to push me to the place where I feel I desperately need a list. Then I end up writing all sorts of lists that I leave all over the house and I wind up ironically needing a list of lists. No, that just stresses me out.

I could talk about how I'm not really able to get excited about going to NB this year because I have to drive the whole way myself, and until that 18 hour drive is behind me, I'm not getting excited about anything! But Chris has carefully mapped out my route, even printing pictures of all the exits I need to take, so that really absolutely nothing can go wrong. Between that, my somewhat trusty GPS, and my eager co-pilot Connor, we should be just fine.

I could explain how different it feels to be going home this year. Last year I returned to London absolutely miserable. There wasn't the sense of excitement that we had when we first moved here. There was just emptiness -- a house that didn't feel like home, nearly no friends to lift my spirits, and a desperate ache for the friends and family I had left behind. This time, I have friends here, very good friends who are going to miss me while I'm away. I have a life here, and I'm actually looking forward to getting back to that life.

So I'm going to NB, and I know it will be a wonderful trip, because it truly is my favourite place in the world. I can't wait to see everyone! I know I'll be making wonderful memories, and the time will fly. And once again I'll be sad to have to leave. But this time I won't be broken-hearted. Because London is starting to feel a little bit like home. Finally.

I think the grey is nearly gone. Time to wrap up. One of my loyal readers asked me on Facebook today if I was still going to blog while I'm away. I love to hear from readers, whether commenting on posts or on Facebook! It is so encouraging to know people actually read. The answer is, I'll try! I don't have a laptop (can you imagine?), but I think I can manage to borrow a computer now and then. Last year I was able to get one post written from NB. I'll try to at least double that. Ding! Time to go! Remember to offer a prayer for our travelling safety tomorrow if you think of it! See you soon!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! Thanks for posting! You did great for 20 minutes! I hope you have a wonderful time in NB!

    ReplyDelete